Sunday, February 8, 2009

Time

So obviously this is an appropriate post for someone who hasn't posted in 2 months!  I have been really struggling with time management, especially as it relates to my spiritual life the past couple months.  It really made me think about how we, as Americans, spend our time.  We are obsessed with schedules, calendars, etc.  Many of us have our days planned out to the second, packed full of things we "have to do".  I've been thinking about how we Western culture people are the only people who live this way.  I learned in a multicultural class in grad school that there are time driven cultures and event driven cultures.  I love (traditional, not Americanized) hispanic culture... people get up when the sun comes up, they eat when they get hungry, they take a siesta when they get tired and a little too hot, work again till they hit a stopping point, and go home and enjoy their family gatherings.  Think about tribal nations in Africa... do they wake up to the alarm clock, punch in at the time clock, eat at 12:00 sharp?  While all people groups have struggles, I dream what it might be like to feel that kind of freedom.  I don't think God ever intended us to be a slave to the clock, to the schedule.  I think we as a culture should work less, spend less, and enjoy experiences in life!  We only get to do this once and I think we as a culture have missed the boat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

amanda... i have so much i want to say about this... but i have another blog penciled in for 1:10, and after that i'm scheduled to sleep from 1:27 - 3:18.

i'm open for more thoughtful commenting on the 6th friday of each month though.

welcome back!

Mandy said...

It's so weird that you posted this because Clayton and I are hosting a small group in our home for the first time, and this is pretty much what we'll be talking about! It's so true.. I know I spend all day looking at the clock making sure I make it to each appt on time, leave them on time to do what's next on the agenda, and even have meals "on time." Whew... it's enough to make us all exhausted!

Anonymous said...

i'm new here, but i love this.

i'm a writer, church planter's wife, foster mom, bible study teacher, and whole lot of other what-not.

Sunday night, i came down sick and i have to say that i'm loving the downtime. just wish it was a little less snore throaty and coughish.